Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab # 3

NO MEDIA!!!

This past week without media has been really refreshing and liberating. I have not checked facebook, watched T.V, read magazines, or watched the news for a week. My days without these things have been a lot more simple and less stressful. Instead of watching T.V. I finally was able to finish a book I've been meaning to read for a while and I have had more time to get work done. Now I don't even feel the need to check facebook or watch TV because not having media in my life hasn't made it any worse or made my life less convenient, instead its made my days more enjoyable.
Im a person who occasionally picks up a fashion magazine from time to time and I'll admit they always put me in a negative mood and quite frankly made me feel pretty shitty about myself. All they do is tell girls how they should dress, wear their hair, loose weight, and they even give girls tips on attracting mean. Gross, I mean COME ON that stuff is so ridiculous. This constant reminder from the media that women aren't good enough the way they are is absurd and has poisoned the women in our society. All it does is present an ideal image of a woman that is impossible, sick, and unrealistic. Having a week without this image being shoved in my brain has been really cleansing. I feel like I am in a better place with myself because I'm not letting myself be subjected to that horrible ideal.
I cant believe how much time I've wasted (and Americans have wasted) fixated on the media. Its toxic. Well, I can say that news is different because it is both good and bad. Not having media in my life for a week has given me more time to spend with myself doing things I enjoy and has made me think about things that matter and that people should be worrying about, not what color lipstick they are wearing. I'm going to try and continue to eliminate as much media from my life as I can. Ive had a more positive outlook on my self and my time spent here at NCSA without media. Media is the cause for a lot of corruption in this world and its like being brainwashed so why do we have so so so so soooo much of it?!! Its crazy.
I thought a week without facebook and T.V. would be unbearable, but surprisingly its was easy as pie and I barely thought about it. Its possible to survive without media, because though it can be entertaining it is also working to make us think, act, and behave a certain way. I'm really happy with what I found out about myself after doing this experiment and will encourage other people to do the same.
yours truly,
Bekah

1 comment:

  1. Bekah,

    I love how you connected media and women's images. I really love that you felt liberated by letting go of media. I wonder how you can integrate media back into your life so that you get the good parts of it without being overwhelmed. Media's a two edged sword, but too often we are the slaves not the master of it. Great great great analysis.

    Oh, and the blog is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete