Monday, February 2, 2009

Let's Get Out Of This Town Tonight- Lab # 13

It's a bird, it's a plane, no, its my dead beat car. So I went home this weekend and while having a whole day of no car at school, using only cabs and our feet, is normal, when I'm at home I have my freedom and it's difficult not to use. A day at school not being able to use the car is simple, because I keep myself occupied with things to do around campus. When I'm at home, my cell is ringing off the hook to come pick people up and take them places and hang out and whatever. I learned that when I don't have a car, and no way of possible getting one, my friends are willing to just do whatever we can find to occupy our time. When I do have access to a car, I found that my friends are wanting to go places and do things and we can't just stay in the house. If we didn't have modernized transportation of our own (personal cars, trucks, SUVs, etc.) we probably would be more of a community instead of so secluded in our own worlds. Having our own cars is a great thing, don't get me wrong, but it does keep everyone separated and not willing to caravan. It also saves gas when you use things like buses, cabs, other peoples cars, and things of the like. 

I was actually in a car with my friend this weekend at about 2 in the morning coming home from a friends house and the car stalled about 4 times, then finally died going to wrong way on the highway. I know that if we had taken a bus or paid for a cab (as expensive as it sometimes may be) we probably would've been safer than we were stranded on the side of the highway at random hours of the night. We eventually got back home, but we had to wait a good 2 hours for my friend to show up and pick us up. We would've been better off calling a cab or just taking a bus and picking up the car in the morning, but because we had our own vehicle and it was 2 in the morning, we decided to drive. So, all that being said I'd say that buses and cabs and caravanning are a great way to save yourself a lot of trouble and time and money when you most need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment